Running and Powerwalking!

Running and Powerwalking!
Get fit with me!

Thursday, November 7, 2013

#2 of 15 Healthy Practices You Already Know-(But are you doing it?)



2. Eat more plants.
Your body craves nourishment in every calorie. Why do you think you can't stop eating that junk food!? Save yourself the trouble of discovering your metabolism can no longer handle all the crap you eat, and fill your plate with greens and veggies.
My comments: At dinner, I sometimes hear my mother's voice or even my grandmother's voice say over and over again, EAT YOUR VEGETABLES! In today's society, with fast foods becoming the main stream,we rarely see or eat anything green on our plates or in our to go containers! If we do, it's loaded with salt and butter, aka FAT!

As you may have read from my blog regarding my 21 Day Adventure Cleanse, one of the primary goals of the cleanse was to eat more plant based foods.  Yes, this meant I had to put more thought into my meals let alone more preparation. But what I discovered was that it wasn't that hard to add more greens into my diet. Eating them raw was the easiest way and to make it more interesting (and sometimes more tasty), I added hummus. Cucumbers, broccoli, and celery either alone or in a salad became my best friends for lunch. At dinner, I steamed my vegetables (ie. spinach, bok choy, brussel sprouts, kale, swiss chard, rapine, dandeline, kohlrabi)  or as a last resort, I boiled them. (keep in mind that if you boil vegetables, you lose a lot of the nutrients if you boil them for too long)

The idea here is to make an effort, even the smallest effort such as eating a vegetable for a snack instead of a bag of chips or a super sized cookie. Once you start here, you can work your way up to adding more green vegetables into one meal a day, 2 meals a day, etc.

If you'd like your taste buds to explore new greens, here's a website that lists over 20 different green plant vegetables!

http://www.vegetarian-diet-tips.com/list-of-vegetables.html


Stay active and anything is possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment