Running and Powerwalking!

Running and Powerwalking!
Get fit with me!

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Why I run


I was asked to write this post by Eventbrite, a company that I have used in the past that allowed me to plan, promote and sell tickets to one of my Fund Raising events for Cancer Research. They were interested to know "What inspires me to lace up and hit the pavement?"  Then other questions came up.  Do I participate in road races? If so, why, what kind and what motivates me to choose one race over another?

These are great questions to ask a run enthusiast such as myself. I had to take a few days to think about it because running has been and is such a big part of my life that I feel as though I have been running forever.  But, I've only been running 15 years (without disclosing my age, that is a short time for me) So I had to take time to reflect about my why, how and when did I start my journey of running.

In the very beginning, I only ran if I had to. I played several sports back in high school and University. Two of which required lots of running, ie softball and basketball.  However, I only ran for short periods of time so I didn't mind running. But if you were to ask me then to run a 3 mile road race or run a short 1/2 mile, I would give you a hard no. Not to mention, track and field was my least favourite gym class.


Then something happened.  My career path led me to a Sales Manager's position at the Boston Athletic Club for almost 7 years. During that time, I often heard and listened to triathletes talking about their races, especially ones that were more challenging and longer. ie, The Nantucket race where the swim portion entailed pulling someone else while on a paddle board and then running on a beach with a sand bag on your back, both for several miles. Really???

Slowly, I started to visualize myself doing a triathlon. I loved swimming and biking and I was good at both of them. I just had to tackle the run portion.  So I started to run without thinking about form or technique. I also had no idea, nor did I care, what type of shoes or clothing to wear or what to eat or drink for the best source of energy. I just threw on a pair of sneakers, comfortable clothes and ran.

I still remember my first run. I felt as if my lungs were going to pop out of my chest and my legs felt heavy and very slow, even though my brain was telling me I was super fast.  But as I continued to run regularly,  my cardio endurance improved. I also started to track my distances and duration. I did not care about speed back then. I just wanted to be able to run the distance of a sprint triathlon (5km/3 miles) without dying during the race or at the end.

I also remember not wanting to join run groups or run with friends or colleagues. I was a bit of a "run" loner because I enjoyed the time being alone.  So I did my own research, as many of us do, and implemented techniques that I thought would work for me.  Once I felt confident I could run 3 miles straight and without dying, I registered for several sprint triathlons. Shortly after, my interest turned to completing Half IRONMANS.


After my 2nd Half IRONMAN, I knew it was time to seek more help on my form, technique, and pace if I wanted improve my time running. But I also found swimming, biking and running on my own was becoming more and more lonely. So I joined other triathletes and started to bike with them. I chose biking rather than running in a group setting because biking is the longer portion of triathlons. However, it was not long after that I joined a run group as well.

Well, it did not take long for me to get hooked on running with a group. I found it easier to chat, depending  on my pace but more so because it's easier to run side by side then bike side by side. Therefore, I was able to listen to stories of other runner's experiences and learn about road races.

At first I thought, road races?  Who wants to just run? Where's the challenge in that? But I started to think to myself that it can't be that bad. I don't have to swim and I don't have to worry about transitioning from bike to running. I can just run which would allow me to focus on running faster. Curiosity finally got the better of me and I registered for my first 10km/6mile race.

Sold! I found myself hooked on road races and as all runners know, once you've been hit with the run bug, you start to search and register for more races. It did not take long before I was registered for my first half marathon and then my first full marathon. Ultimately, I registered for my first Full IRONMAN.

Becoming part of the running community changed me. As I mentioned earlier, I enjoyed running and training for events on my own, and still do.  However, once I started running in groups, ie, the Running Room in Toronto, I started to look forward to running with other enthusiasts and sharing our experiences, stories, aches, pains, personal bests, etc.  They were becoming part of my family and road races became our family get togethers, but without all the arguments.


The more I ran, the more passionate I became about running and the more I appreciated its benefits, ie, improved cardiovascular endurance, increased energy, weight loss, and reduced levels of stress.  As a way to say thank you to the run community for it's impact on me, I wanted to make an impact on them. So I started to register for events with a cause. ie. MS, Achilles, March of Dimes, and Breast Cancer. In addition, I started coaching the Running Room's Learn to Run program for Women, then the 5k Run program and shortly after, I became one of their Walking Coaches as well.


When asked about how I choose road races, my answer was this.  I love to travel so if there is an event in a city/country that I have not been to and would like to visit, (ie,  my first Marathon in Athens, Greece for the 2500th Anniversary of the Marathon)  I will register. Also, if a race is new, different and adventurous, sign me up!  But most importantly, I choose races that support causes that are dear to me, ie, Cancer, Heart and Stroke, Veterans and children.


If you are just starting to run or participate in any fitness activity, I feel there is no better way to experience your first event than by registering for one that supports a good cause. The motivation, the support, the gratification of knowing that you are making a difference while reaching a personal goal is indescribable.  But most importantly, the impact you are making for that cause is "priceless."  I know from experience because my last 2 Full IRONMAN'S have been to raise awareness and money for the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation in honour of my father.  If you would like to know more about the organization, my personal experience and/or donate, please visit my page at

https://endurance.themmrf.org/IMLP703/donnafoster


For the rest of you fitness enthusiasts, if you have a good cause and would like to reach the community to raise funds for your event, please visit Eventbrites non for profit fund raising page.  We can all work together to change the world through events that get us moving, sharing, and coming together as one.

nonprofit fundraising


Stay active and anything is possible!
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment