Running and Powerwalking!

Running and Powerwalking!
Get fit with me!

Friday, March 18, 2016

Is hydrogenated fats bad for me?


Hello peanut butter enthusiasts! I wanted to share this article from Oxygen magazine that I came across several years ago. It changed my life or I should say, it changed my digestive system. I had no idea why I suffered from cramps, stomach pains and the infamous "bloatedness" every time I ate peanut butter.  Then I read this article and immediately switched to organic peanut butter.  But more importantly, I started reading lables for that awful ingredient "hydrogenated" and stayed clear of eating it.  Here's why:

Oxygen article:

Hydrogenated  peanut butter is vastly different from natural peanut butter. Hydrogenation means the fat molecules have been chemically altered in the manufacturing process and not for the better. Your digestive system doesn't have the ability to digest hydrogenated fats because they rarely exist in nature. These fats TRAVEL AIMLESSLY AROUND YOUR BODY, FINALLY STORING THEMSELVES AROUND YOUR ORGANS AND ON THE INSIDE OF YOUR ARTERIES.


That last sentence sold me. By no means do I want fat travelling through my body and attaching itself to my organs. So my decision to buy organic peanut butter (even if it is more expensive) was not difficult. Once I did make the switch, I started to try other nut butters such as almond butter, cashew butter, macadamia butter, tahini butter and my new favourite Mamba's organic spicy peanut butter! I had no idea the other options would be so tasty, especially Mamba's.  They mix organically grown peanuts from Haiti with hot spicies. A combination I would never have thought of. If you live in Montreal, you have to stop by Atwater market and look for the Mamba table. You can choose  mild, medium or hot. Your taste buds will not be disappointed!

So for anyone who might experience negative symptoms after eating a particlar food, check the label for its ingredients. If you see the word "hydrogenated", it may be the cause or one of many causes for your discomfort. Try eliminating that food for a week or two and then add it back into your diet. If you experience any discomfort, it might be time to try other alternatives.

Stay active and anything is possible!
Donna


 

No comments:

Post a Comment