Running and Powerwalking!

Running and Powerwalking!
Get fit with me!

Monday, April 18, 2016

Walk? Not run?


Today I'd like to share a  new concept of training,  Low Intensity Steady State. (LISS) For those of you who know me, this concept might sound strange coming from me. Yes, I love HIIT and pushing myself to the max. But I also enjoy long endurance training that does not entail high intensity. 

For example, as part of my IRONMAN training this weekend, rather than run, bike or swim, I walked at a nice steady pace for 14km on Saturday and 17km on Sunday.  So why did I choose to walk and why for so long? 

Last week, my training schedule included several 10-24km runs, 1-5 hours on the bike 3 times, and a few hours in the pool   In order to allow my body a chance to recover while still moving, (aka active recovery) I walked to loosen up the lactic acid that had built up throughout the week. But I also wanted to incorporate endurance training so I walked more than 10km consecutively but at a slower pace. 

There are many benefits to training at  LISS and walking, both of which I will write more about over the next few weeks. But one benefit that I would like to leave you with is that by walking, you have more of  an opportunity to explore your own or other neighborhoods and really "see" what they have to offer. We are often in such a rush that we miss those elements that make each neighborhood so special, ie. mom and pop coffee shops, restaurants, bakeries, etc. 

So next time you are debating whether or not you should get outside and train, don't forget that walking is a form of exercise. For the body, mind and soul. 

Happy walking. 

Stay active and anything is possible!
Donna 












No comments:

Post a Comment